Dulcești Muslim Cemetery


Ottoman name of village:



  19th century

  Located on the left side of the road from August 23, in front of the Orthodox Church. It covers an area of about 1 ha and is surrounded by a metal fence. A small proportion of the graves are marked only with tombstones arranged at the head and feet of the deceased, most of the tombs are also covered with small stones The tombs are largely arranged in rows, from north to south. The number of graves in a row is not constant, determined by the area of the cemetery, being between about 12 in the west and 20 in the east, wider. In at least one case, a stone arrangement can be seen that seems to define a family lot. On the southern edge of the cemetery is a tomb with a modern funerary monument, inscribed with 1935 as the year of death. The cemetery seems to have been built at the end of the 19th century and during the first half of the 20th century. Probably the last burials took place in 1953-1955, after which a new cemetery was opened, currently located on the northeastern edge of the village. Some tombs have as their tombstone so-called ‘arman’ stones. One of these ‘arman’ stones was later carved so that the west face has two causeways. In many cases fragments of ancient columns (spolia) are used as tombstones and in at least two cases they are columnar plinths. A tombstone has a headstone an “arman” stone and a fragment of an ancient column as a footstone. Most of the tombstones are visible from the ground surface about 0.25-0.5 m, but there are also some that reach 0.7-0.8 height. At the western end of the cemetery is a tomb with a modern monument, made of cement, possibly made in the years 1980-1990, inscribed in Arabic characters.


Link to map